25 years ago, someone ripped out their opponent’s spine for the first time, uppercutted a friend into The Pit, and jumpkicked their way past Goro. Yep, it’s been 25 years since Ed Boon and John Tobias unleashed Mortal Kombat to the masses in the arcade. The subsequent home versions by Acclaim (who can forget “Mortal Monday”?) brought the game home to the masses, and changed fighting games (and subsequently, the industry) forever.
At New York Comic-Con, the original group behind the first Mortal Kombat – Ed Boon, John Tobias, Dan Forden and John Vogel – not only had a panel discussing the first game, but also helped usher in the bigger celebration of the series. Right now, Raiden is available for Injustice 2, but also other NetherRealm Studios games have received their own MK updates. Mortal Kombat X for mobile has added Shao Kahn the Konqueror in full Diamond tier regalia, as well as two new versions of Goro to battle against, and an all-new Relic Hunt feature. Injustice: Gods Among Us adds Scorpion to its lineup (just like its console cousin), and WWE Immortals adds a Raiden costume for Xavier Woods to use.
Lastly, Mortal Kombat X for consoles and PC will be unveilling new Living Tower challenges that are inspired by previous entries within the series. It’s all enough to make you want to run out into the street and scream “Mortal Kombat!” at the top of your lungs. Just watch out for cars.
This story was originally posted on Plenty Dreadful. Head there for more horror video game goodness!
- This is Some Mighty Impressive ‘The Evil Within’ Cosplay
- This is a Good Day for ‘Friday the 13th’ Fan Art
- ‘Agony’ Spawns More NSFW Screens
- ‘Dead by Daylight’ Celebrates True Love With a Bloodhunt
- The Latest ‘Hellblade’ Trailer Brings the Terror
- Experience VR Thai Horror This September with ‘Home Sweet Home’
- ‘Agony’ Secures Physical Release, Game Expansion Planned
- ‘Friday The 13th: The Game’ Tom Savini + JGTH Skins Reveal!
- ‘Heretic’ successor ‘Amid Evil’ Revealed!
- The Slasher Genre is Back; Now What?