Frictional Games’ SOMA was creepy body horror fun, and it’s a shame that we never got any sort of DLC or expansion to further the story. In an interview with Gameranx, Frictional Games’ Creative Director Thomas Grip explains just why we never received any DLC.
According to Grip, there were talks about making a DLC as the project was winding down. “The idea was to make something smaller while we started up the next big project. However, it didn’t feel we had good enough ideas or resources to make sure the DLC did the full game justice.” As a result, the studio ultimately decided to scrap the idea.
The interview also touched on the burgeoning field of VR games, and whether SOMA could actually work. “We have been looking into VR and we have some ideas, but the problem is having enough time. We have to weight it against other things we want to do and also see how the platform evolves.” It makes sense that Frictional Games would at least entertain the idea of bringing SOMA to a VR platform. The atmosphere-driven game would be right at home with games like Resident Evil VII. But again, that uncertainty of the platform, combined with time and resources is risky, especially for a small company.
It’s not all murky news, as Frictional Games is hard at work developing two new games. One will focus more on the narrative and mystery elements such as those found in SOMA, while the other one “[currently] in the early R&D stages” will be “a proper horror game”. No details at this time for either one, but if they’re anything like SOMA or Frictional’s first game, Amnesia: The Dark Descent, then we’re in for a treat.
- This is a Good Day for ‘Friday the 13th’ Fan Art
- ‘Dead by Daylight’ Celebrates ‘Halloween’ in August
- ‘Friday The 13th: The Game’ Tom Savini + JGTH Skins Reveal!
- Our Most Anticipated VR Horror Games
- Disturbing ‘Outlast 2’ In-Game Audio Discovered
- 5 Horror Games That Would’ve Made Better Movies!
- ‘Dead by Daylight’ Celebrates True Love With a Bloodhunt
- This ‘Scorn’ Trailer Isn’t for the Squeamish
- This is Some Mighty Impressive ‘The Evil Within’ Cosplay
- ‘Lust For Darkness’ Launches Kickstarter Page, New Trailer