I haven’t spent a minute with Hellblade: Sensua’s Sacrifice and I’m already thoroughly and completely invested in its eponymous leading lady. The raw emotion and fragility in Melina Juergens’ brief performance in each new trailer is at times cinematic and deeply personal, which makes sense for a game that blends Celtic and Norse mythologies as it explores the mind of a grieving warrior. There are very real and legitimately terrifying monsters in Hellblade, but the gravest threat may come from the ones that are imagined.
For the unfamiliar, Ninja Theory is the same studio that brought us Heavenly Sword, Enslaved: Odyssey to the West, and the fantastic DmC: Devil May Cry, so you can bet this game will have the satisfying kickassery and slick visuals the developer is known for. Hellblade only needs to deliver an engrossing story and a heroine who’s as complex in-game as she appears in its marketing campaign for this to have a chance of raising the bar set by DmC.
Hellblade: Sensua’s Sacrifice arrives August 8 on PC and PS4.
- ‘Friday The 13th: The Game’ Tom Savini + JGTH Skins Reveal!
- This is a Good Day for ‘Friday the 13th’ Fan Art
- ‘Dead by Daylight’ Celebrates ‘Halloween’ in August
- This is Some Mighty Impressive ‘The Evil Within’ Cosplay
- Disturbing ‘Outlast 2’ In-Game Audio Discovered
- This ‘Scorn’ Trailer Isn’t for the Squeamish
- ‘Dead by Daylight’ Celebrates True Love With a Bloodhunt
- ‘Splatterhouse’ Comes To Nintendo Switch This Summer!
- Hiya Toys Unveils More ‘Aliens: Colonial Marines’ Figures!
- Our Most Anticipated VR Horror Games