I could list a myriad reasons why you should care about the upcoming PC horror adventure game Scorn, so we’ll begin with its most striking feature. The eye candy you see here might not seem too alien if you’re familiar with the works of Polish artist Zdzisław Beksiński, a master of gothic and dystopian surrealism, whose style has guided the look of the game’s “nightmarish universe of odd forms and somber tapestry.”
To think, this game almost didn’t happen. An unsuccessful attempt at crowdfunding didn’t stop Ebb Software, and I’m glad for it. With the help of a private investor, the studio was allowed to continue its development, but not without a cost. The Kickstarter campaign forced them to split Scorn into two parts, with the first coming in 2017.
When its finished, that’s it. “There will be no DLC, expansions or sequels. Ever.”
Scorn is a first-person horror game with a “limited” inventory, no HUD or cinematics, and a “lived in” world comprised of interconnected regions. Like Dark Souls, it’s nonlinear so as to encourage players to explore and learn its rules without the aid of a tutorial. You may want to look around anyway, since “every location contains its own theme (story), puzzles and characters,” says Ebb Software. “Throughout the game you will open up new areas, acquire different skill sets, weapons, various items and try to comprehend the sights presented to you.”
Did I mention Scorn has a weapon that resembles that gun from eXistenZ?
For more on this lovely game, check it out on Steam Greenlight.
- This is a Good Day for ‘Friday the 13th’ Fan Art
- This ‘Scorn’ Trailer Isn’t for the Squeamish
- Hiya Toys Unveils More ‘Aliens: Colonial Marines’ Figures!
- This is Some Mighty Impressive ‘The Evil Within’ Cosplay
- ‘Dead by Daylight’ Celebrates ‘Halloween’ in August
- Disturbing ‘Outlast 2’ In-Game Audio Discovered
- 20 Horror Game Crossovers I Want in ‘Mortal Kombat’, Part 2
- ‘Splatterhouse’ Comes To Nintendo Switch This Summer!
- Our Most Anticipated VR Horror Games
- Top 6 Serial Killers in Video Games!