Old school mechanics and retro visuals are enjoying a renaissance lately, thanks in part to a growing number of developers that are turning away from the exorbitant costs that come with making big budget games to focus on more intimate, and often personal, projects.
Developed by OhNoo, a studio comprised of three developers, the dark fantasy game Tormentum – Dark Sorrow was made possible by people like you. Well, maybe not you, but the general gaming community who helped the studio raise over $11,000 last August.
As its latest trailer shows, the game’s art style was heavily inspired by the works of H.R. Giger and Polish artist Zdzisław Beksiński.
I’ve never developed a taste for the point-and-click genre — mostly because of a lack of trying — but with games like Stasis, NightCry and Tormentum – Dark Sorrow on the way, now is as good a time as any to jump on that retro bandwagon. Tormentum arrives March 4 on Steam.
- This is a Good Day for ‘Friday the 13th’ Fan Art
- This is Some Mighty Impressive ‘The Evil Within’ Cosplay
- ‘System Shock 3’ Concept Art Revealed
- Disturbing ‘Outlast 2’ In-Game Audio Discovered
- Hiya Toys Unveils More ‘Aliens: Colonial Marines’ Figures!
- ‘Agony’ Spawns More NSFW Screens
- This ‘Scorn’ Trailer Isn’t for the Squeamish
- ‘Agony’ Secures Physical Release, Game Expansion Planned
- The Slasher Genre is Back; Now What?
- ‘Lust For Darkness’ Launches Kickstarter Page, New Trailer