While big budget horror struggles to make a comeback, a new rush of indie developers have started taking more risks with their games, resulting in a steady trickling of refreshing horror games we’d never see come from the AAA space. This willingness to innovate, paired with platforms like Kickstarter, Indiegogo and Steam Greenlight have made funding and promoting a game way easier than it was even just a few years ago.
Narrowing down the indies of 2014 was no easy task, but we’ve brought it down to eight of the year’s best so you can finish it by voting on the best of the best.
Greatest Gore | Scariest Game | Best Monster | Best Multiplayer | Most Original
Best DLC | Best New IP | Most Disappointing | Best Indie | Horror Game of the Year
For the unfamiliar, The FEAR Awards is your chance to pick the best and worst horror games of the year. I’ll reveal a new category and its respective nominees every day until Jan 10. From there, voting will remain open until Jan 15, followed by a reveal of all of the winners on Jan 16.
- Our Most Anticipated VR Horror Games
- ‘Friday The 13th: The Game’ Tom Savini + JGTH Skins Reveal!
- ‘Splatterhouse’ Comes To Nintendo Switch This Summer!
- This is a Good Day for ‘Friday the 13th’ Fan Art
- This is Some Mighty Impressive ‘The Evil Within’ Cosplay
- Disturbing ‘Outlast 2’ In-Game Audio Discovered
- 20 Horror Game Crossovers I Want in ‘Mortal Kombat’, Part 2
- Will We Get Uber Jason in ‘F13: The Game’?
- ‘Dead By Daylight’ PC Owners Receive A Lullaby
- ‘Dead by Daylight’ Celebrates ‘Halloween’ in August