They say everything’s been done already. All of the original ideas have been spent, all that’s left is how adept aspiring filmmakers, authors and game designers are at borrowing those ideas and either making them seem new or finding a way to weave those ideas into their work in a way that’s clever or novel enough for us not to care that it’s been done before.
When it comes to video games, it’s common for developers to take proven ideas and mechanics and incorporate them into their own games. This is why Resident Evil 4 inspired a myriad developers to make third person over-the-shoulder games like Gears of War, and it’s why Slender: The Eight Pages essentially created the Slender Man subgenre in 2012.
It’s not easy being innovative or unique, but that didn’t stop game developers from bringing us at least five games that were original or feigned originality. Vote for the one you feel was the most successful in the poll below!
Greatest Gore | Scariest Game | Best Monster | Best Multiplayer | Most Original
Best DLC | Best New IP | Most Disappointing | Best Indie | Horror Game of the Year
For the unfamiliar, The FEAR Awards is your chance to pick the best and worst horror games of the year. I’ll reveal a new category and its respective nominees every day until Jan 10. From there, voting will remain open until Jan 15, followed by a reveal of all of the winners on Jan 16.
- This is Some Mighty Impressive ‘The Evil Within’ Cosplay
- This is a Good Day for ‘Friday the 13th’ Fan Art
- Our Most Anticipated VR Horror Games
- ‘Friday The 13th: The Game’ Tom Savini + JGTH Skins Reveal!
- ‘Resident Evil’ TV series Concept Morphed into Terrifying Short
- “Horrorland” ‘GTA V’ Machinima Brings Together Horror Heroes and Villains
- ‘Agony’ Spawns More NSFW Screens
- The Slasher Genre is Back; Now What?
- ‘Dead by Daylight’ Celebrates True Love With a Bloodhunt
- ‘Splatterhouse’ Comes To Nintendo Switch This Summer!