They say everything’s been done already. All of the original ideas have been spent, all that’s left is how adept aspiring filmmakers, authors and game designers are at borrowing those ideas and either making them seem new or finding a way to weave those ideas into their work in a way that’s clever or novel enough for us not to care that it’s been done before.
When it comes to video games, it’s common for developers to take proven ideas and mechanics and incorporate them into their own games. This is why Resident Evil 4 inspired a myriad developers to make third person over-the-shoulder games like Gears of War, and it’s why Slender: The Eight Pages essentially created the Slender Man subgenre in 2012.
It’s not easy being innovative or unique, but that didn’t stop game developers from bringing us at least five games that were original or feigned originality. Vote for the one you feel was the most successful in the poll below!
Greatest Gore | Scariest Game | Best Monster | Best Multiplayer | Most Original
Best DLC | Best New IP | Most Disappointing | Best Indie | Horror Game of the Year
For the unfamiliar, The FEAR Awards is your chance to pick the best and worst horror games of the year. I’ll reveal a new category and its respective nominees every day until Jan 10. From there, voting will remain open until Jan 15, followed by a reveal of all of the winners on Jan 16.
- Escape Battling Kaiju in ‘City Shrouded in Shadow’
- ‘Darkwood’ Exits Early Access, Complete With New Trailer
- ‘H1Z1: Just Survive’ Changes Name, Adds New Content
- Enjoy the Beauty & Horror In ‘The Land of Pain’ Trailer
- Grab ‘Deadlight: DC’ for Free During GOG.com Sale!
- ‘Dead by Daylight’ Celebrates ‘Halloween’ in August
- ‘Warcraft III’ Gets a New Test Realm for Future Remaster?
- Stefano Takes Center Stage in New ‘The Evil Within 2’ Trailer
- Battle Lovecraftian Horror on Mars With ‘Moons Of Madness’
- ‘We Happy Few’ Secures Release Date