Before we came to know it by its Shattered Memories title, this woefully underrated entry in Konami’s beloved survival horror series was first known as Silent Hill: Cold Heart. Video games change all the time during development, and this game was no exception, though it looks like it did manage to retain a couple of its core ideas along the way, such as the themes of ice and cold.
Almost everything else was changed however, including its being a reimagining of the first Silent Hill — a move that wasn’t part of developer Climax Studios’ original concept. Combat was also a planned feature, though anyone who’s played Shattered Memories knows that was removed entirely from the final product.
Everything you see in the gallery below once belonged to the developer’s 14-page pitch to Konami. The document, which was posted by the fan site Silent Hill Memories, offers a rare behind-the-scenes look at the very early stages of the game’s development.
Would you have liked to see this come to fruition, or are you happy with the game we got?
- Escape Battling Kaiju in ‘City Shrouded in Shadow’
- ‘Darkwood’ Exits Early Access, Complete With New Trailer
- ‘H1Z1: Just Survive’ Changes Name, Adds New Content
- Enjoy the Beauty & Horror In ‘The Land of Pain’ Trailer
- Grab ‘Deadlight: DC’ for Free During GOG.com Sale!
- ‘Dead by Daylight’ Celebrates ‘Halloween’ in August
- ‘Warcraft III’ Gets a New Test Realm for Future Remaster?
- Stefano Takes Center Stage in New ‘The Evil Within 2’ Trailer
- Battle Lovecraftian Horror on Mars With ‘Moons Of Madness’
- ‘We Happy Few’ Secures Release Date