Before we came to know it by its Shattered Memories title, this woefully underrated entry in Konami’s beloved survival horror series was first known as Silent Hill: Cold Heart. Video games change all the time during development, and this game was no exception, though it looks like it did manage to retain a couple of its core ideas along the way, such as the themes of ice and cold.
Almost everything else was changed however, including its being a reimagining of the first Silent Hill — a move that wasn’t part of developer Climax Studios’ original concept. Combat was also a planned feature, though anyone who’s played Shattered Memories knows that was removed entirely from the final product.
Everything you see in the gallery below once belonged to the developer’s 14-page pitch to Konami. The document, which was posted by the fan site Silent Hill Memories, offers a rare behind-the-scenes look at the very early stages of the game’s development.
Would you have liked to see this come to fruition, or are you happy with the game we got?
- This is Some Mighty Impressive ‘The Evil Within’ Cosplay
- This ‘Scorn’ Trailer Isn’t for the Squeamish
- Our Most Anticipated VR Horror Games
- This is a Good Day for ‘Friday the 13th’ Fan Art
- ‘Friday The 13th: The Game’ Tom Savini + JGTH Skins Reveal!
- ‘Resident Evil’ TV series Concept Morphed into Terrifying Short
- “Horrorland” ‘GTA V’ Machinima Brings Together Horror Heroes and Villains
- Open-World Indie Game ‘Welcome To Hanwell’ Invites you to Explore
- ‘Splatterhouse’ Comes To Nintendo Switch This Summer!
- The Slasher Genre is Back; Now What?