Before we came to know it by its Shattered Memories title, this woefully underrated entry in Konami’s beloved survival horror series was first known as Silent Hill: Cold Heart. Video games change all the time during development, and this game was no exception, though it looks like it did manage to retain a couple of its core ideas along the way, such as the themes of ice and cold.
Almost everything else was changed however, including its being a reimagining of the first Silent Hill — a move that wasn’t part of developer Climax Studios’ original concept. Combat was also a planned feature, though anyone who’s played Shattered Memories knows that was removed entirely from the final product.
Everything you see in the gallery below once belonged to the developer’s 14-page pitch to Konami. The document, which was posted by the fan site Silent Hill Memories, offers a rare behind-the-scenes look at the very early stages of the game’s development.
Would you have liked to see this come to fruition, or are you happy with the game we got?
- This is a Good Day for ‘Friday the 13th’ Fan Art
- This ‘Scorn’ Trailer Isn’t for the Squeamish
- Hiya Toys Unveils More ‘Aliens: Colonial Marines’ Figures!
- This is Some Mighty Impressive ‘The Evil Within’ Cosplay
- ‘Dead by Daylight’ Celebrates ‘Halloween’ in August
- Disturbing ‘Outlast 2’ In-Game Audio Discovered
- 20 Horror Game Crossovers I Want in ‘Mortal Kombat’, Part 2
- ‘Splatterhouse’ Comes To Nintendo Switch This Summer!
- Our Most Anticipated VR Horror Games
- Top 6 Serial Killers in Video Games!